So there is this chipmunk at my grandmother’s house that is crazy levels of tame. He thinks he’s people! We are pretty sure he’s going to hibernate in a cozy, secret space in my grandmother’s porch and so we are doing our part to help by interfering with nature making sure he’s set for the winter. We give him lots of peanuts. He LOVES peanuts. He BEGS for peanuts. He hops up to the door and begs through the glass and he has crawled up legs and sat on knees for them. This is terrible, objectively, but also it is adorable.

Remember my pumpkin? I don’t blame you for forgetting about it. It was only two days ago I blogged about it, after all. Since you have probably forgotten all about it, here is my pumpkin:

Tonight, I went to my grandmother’s house armed with ingredients for my Halloween Feast (which turned out AMAZINGLY TASTY, jsyk) and set the pumpkins outside to light when the trick or treaters started rolling in. I still lamented that they were not the best pumpkins we’ve ever carved, but at least we were celebrating the season! While I did this, the chipmunk hopped around my feet and got some peanuts for being so adorable and then I went inside and he studied my pumpkin.

EVERYONE’S A CRITIC!

Or maybe our chipmunk is an artist and thought taking a chunk out of the mouth was all my pumpkin needed to be PERFECT? But still, whether it was an act of vandalism or artistic expression–rude! he could’ve asked permission before he started carving away with his teeth!

After we discovered it, we did the only reasonable thing there was to do. We promptly awarded his bad behaviour with more peanuts:

And actually, his creative touch on my pumpkin didn’t turn out so bad at all. Here it is lit next to an adorable and awesome ghost my grandmother created (which we also used as a center piece for the Halloween feast!) when it was still light out and then when it was dark, in all its ghostly pumpkiny glory. Pretty awesome, huh?

Soooo… remember when I told you 2010 was a pumpkin disaster of epic proportions? I LIED. In the end, my pumpkin turned out beautiful thanks to the help of Picasso the Chipmunk and my sister shaved down the inside of her pumpkin and it looked MUCH better. It looked EXCELLENT. It’s amazing what a little shaving and a more natural setting can do for a pumpkin! So I take back what I said before. This year was an Official Pumpkin Success!

Especially for him.

Share →

28 Responses to Halloween 2: Attack of the Chipmunk!

1. Lostnthestacks says:

I am begging my guy to get me a pet chipmunk right now!!! He says NO b/c we have a kitty. :(

Too cute.

2. courtney says:

Kitties and chipmunks might be a lethal combination! They are adorable though. :)

3. Genevieve says:

When I was in Paris a few years ago, they had pet chipmunks that they were selling. They were kind of mangey looking though. This chipmunk is SO CUTE! Does he (she?) have a name?

4. courtney says:

Really?! Aww, poor mangey chipmunks. :( I wonder how they’d do totally domesticated. They’re so high-strung. We just call this one Chippy. (VERY original, I know!)

5. Linda G. says:

Awwww. That is the cutest pumpkin vandal I’ve ever seen. :)

All your pumpkins are epic! You are the Queen of Pumpkin carvers. :)

6. TKT says:

Those might be the greatest pictures ever. The one with the tail disappearing down the back-end of the pumpkin is classic. Also, he has won my heart.

And dang…the Pan’s Labyrinth pumpkin is quite possible the coolest pumpkin I’ve ever seen ever. Ever.

I stand in awe, good madam. AWE.

- TKT

P.S. What is Mr. Munk’s name? Surely you’ve named the furry little chap, no?

7. whitney says:

Oh, they are so cute. I love your pumpkins too. One of them reminds me of Scott Pilgrim!

8. courtney says:

Linda G: Seriously, if all pumpkin vandals were that cute, pumpkin vandalism wouldn’t even be a problem. Or it would be–but an ADORABLE one. And aww, thanks.

TKT: He is so hard to stay mad at, even as he destroyes my pumpkin carving-related blood, sweat and tears. My sister will be thrilled you dig the Pan’s Labrynth pumpkin! Before she shaved down the back it was of suspect looks. And we have totally named the chumpkin ‘Chippy.’ SUPER ORIGINAL, Y?

Whitney: Heee! I just saw your other comment so I will ~hee~ at this one. :)

9. pseudosu says:

OMG. I almost died of cuteness!! Your pumpkin was adorable too. The perfect amount of restraint. Thumbs-up. :)

10. courtney says:

Awww! Thank you, Sue!!! :)

11. That has got to be the cutest chipmunk ever! I really enjoyed the pictures of your pumpkins, though…ours never get beyond the triangle eyes & nose and basic mouth-with-a-few-teeth stage.

12. Melanie says:

Very cute. I especially love the one with the chipmunk sitting with it’s back to us on the pumpkin. For some reason the bulging cheek stuffed with nuts cracks me up. Or maybe it reminds me of the days I had a hamster once upon a time.

Happy halloween. And great job on your pumpkin even if it did get attacked :-)

13. OMG, I LOVE chipmunks! Always have. I am slightly jealous of you having a chipmunk friend that helps you with pumpkin carving. (And what pumpkin doesn’t look better with a chipmunk perched on top of it? Plus, you know he only chewed a hole in the teeth so he could see what it was like inside of the pumpkin, and who doesn’t want to see what it’s like inside of a pumpkin?

Your pumpkin turned out great and looks most excellent with the glowing ghost! Also, your sister’s pumpkin looks so cool with the inside scraped out more. You can really see the details now.

14. courtney says:

Christi: Triangle & nose and basic mouth with a few teeth is a CLASSIC though, and those totally have their place!

Melanie: Thanks! He totally conquered the pumpkin and the peanuts. Hamsters are ADORABLE! I’ve never had one, but we have degus. I love rodents!

Stephanie: AREN’T THEY ADORABLE?! I think he’s gone into hibernation now. He’s been awful hidden the last few days but he spent the summer and fall hanging around and it was adorable. And I agree–chipmunks are the perfect pumpkin accessory. Thanks re: the pumpkins! I think Meg’s turned out a lot better when it was shaved too… I’m glad she went back to it!

15. Emily says:

OMG! How freakin’ adorable!

And great job on the pumpkins. :)

16. Melanie says:

Chipmunks hibernate??? I thought they were like squirrels. Wait, do squirrels hibernate?? I don’t think so. Unless I go into mental hibernation during winter and my mind has been hallucinating all these years :-)

17. courtney says:

Emily: He is pretty cute!

Melanie: They do! I read up on it… around the beginning of November they go into hibernation! Sometimes they come out depending on whether they stash their food all in one place or in various places!

18. Melanie says:

Ha. interesting. Now you got me all curious. going to have to research what rodents do and do not hibernate haha.

19. courtney says:

Hee! Look anywhere but wikipedia. I find if you start there, 10 hours later of link clicking interesting things and you forget what you were originally looking for!

20. melannie says:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    *sighs*
    AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW
    cutest Chipmunk ever!
    her/his face is adorable,
    he/she should be participating in beauty pageants :P
    and I love your pumpkin!
    and your sister’s! wow she’s a pumpkin craving artist
    and your grandma’s ghost is EPIC

very talented family haha (:

21. Melanie says:

so I googled “rodents that hibernate” and found this page (funny enough I used to go to this site when I was teaching Kindergarten). http://www.enchantedlearning.com/coloring/Hibernate.shtml

Not only do I now know what rodents hibernate (though it gives more info than just rodents) I can even print them out and color them! haha

22. courtney says:

melannie: he could TOTALLY be a pageant chipmunk. That would be hilarious and awesome. thanks for the props for our Halloween props. My sister and Grandma thank you as well!

Melanie: omg! Haaah! I know what I’ll turn to in desperate times when I’m dealing with writer’s block. Rodent Hibernation Coloring pages!!! Crazy! I love it.

23. Melanie says:

hehe…glad to be of service :-)

BTW, I’m a huge fan of SGA and look forward to reading the rest of your work. Good luck with your future projects. You are one very talented gal :-)

24. shabbygeek says:

We don’t have very many chipmunks around these here parts. Mostly squirrels, who aren’t near as cute.

And HELLO that Pan’s Labyrinth pumpkin scared the pants offa me!

25. courtney says:

Melanie: I’m sorry it took me so long to approve + reply to this comment. Thank you SO much for all your kind words. They mean a lot. :)

shabbygeek: squirrels CAN be cute but they are totally outcuted by chipmunks! And I told my sister that the Pan’s Labrynth pumpkin scared you and she thanks you. :)

26. Humph. My devious pumpkin-destroying chipmunk-plan, FOILED AGAIN.

27. life withe hope liz says:

i love your books i can totally relate and i look at everything differently. i just wish i had some sort of happy ending but thanks for giving me hope.

28. courtney says:

Emily: I KNEW IT.

Life withe Hope Liz: Thank you so much, Liz. That means a lot. Hang in there; I wish you much happiness.